MASALA MANGO MANTRA is a canadian blog uniting artists, designs, decor, fashion, food from around the globe and that which is beautiful and sometimes Indian inspired by design

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Happy Ugadi

I miss my days in Bangalore, India. I miss the Ugadi celebrations with our neighbours. My parents being from Assam, made Karnataka their home and my brother and I adapted pretty well to our birth place learning Kannada and truly making Bangalore our HOME.


Anyway, to those who have no idea what I am talking about, Ugadi is a Hindu festival celebrated by Indians. In Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh they call it Ugadi.  Yug means the new era and Adi means the beginning and hence the words conjoin to make Ugadi. It is also known as Gudi padwa in Maharashtra .








I remember having a feast eating  Moongdal Kosambri (a mix of moong lentils with cucumber) Holige (sweet rotis made with jaggery and flour) and Hulianna (lemon rice)



Image courtesy: PaakaShaale

Get the amazing and mouthwatering Holige recipe at Paaka Shaale

1 comment :

Thank you for stopping by and writing me a note!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...